Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline orschd  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 6, 2010 6:02:11 PM(UTC)
orschd

Sry, I know this is still under construction. But I definitly have to know what mixing ratio you are using (Borax/Water) ?
A second question is how the colour works. The priming paint of the Ibanez Body used in the video was green. Why did you added green as 3rd (?) colour ? (Green - Black - Green ? )

Thank you for sharing this. Awsome !

Greetz from Germany. Your new User, Orschd

P.S.: Sorry for my bad english.
Sponsor
Offline nojyeloot  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 6, 2010 8:34:44 PM(UTC)
nojyeloot

I too would like to know the ratio of Borax/Water. I plan on doing a swirl paint job on my BYOC Compressor's outer shell, i just assembled.
"If anyone speaks badly of you, live so that no one believes it."
Offline T-Bone  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 7, 2010 12:41:25 AM(UTC)
T-Bone

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 35 post(s)
Im going to be figuring out th eratio soon, It was pissing it down over the weekend so it was difficult to do testing. You also need to get the water temp correct, to cold and the paint doesnt dissapate correctly, to hot and it dries to soon.
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked T-Bone for this useful post.
orschd on 4/8/2010(UTC)
Offline david  
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 8, 2010 8:41:52 PM(UTC)
david

do you know what the ratio of thinner to paint is? I know it might be different for each brand of paint but any advice?
Offline zeek714  
#5 Posted : Sunday, May 9, 2010 4:10:48 AM(UTC)
zeek714

david wrote:
do you know what the ratio of thinner to paint is? I know it might be different for each brand of paint but any advice?

What kind of paint are you using first? The second thing is I don't use paint thinner, I use mineral spirits. It does the same thing but to me it works better because it gives you a little more time before it starts to evaporate letting the paint stay wet longer when it’s on top of the water.
It does dry fast after your have done you swirling. Paint thinner sometimes makes the paint form little bubbles. If you look at the paint on top of the water, you can see them. Also if you use to much borax, it also will do the same thing to the paint. I have my tub inside an air condition room set between 65 & 70 degrees F. This also lets the paint flow better and does not dry out so fast. It really works well. Out side if it's hot, you have to be very fast, and sometimes it's just to hard to work with.

It makes it easy for you to move it around more and form your design. There are other ways to do this but to me this it the right way. The way to do this is to get a 5-gallon bucket and put 4 gallons of water in it. Now I would try about 10 teaspoons of Borax. Mix it up and then let it set for about 15 to 30 Min. Then try adding a drop of paint and see what happens. All paints work. It’s just the chemicals in them. You might have to add more Borix, or you can try thinning out your paints a bit, but only add a drop at a time, then try it. Less is better that to much.
I have found that Plasti-kote works well. The white can be a pain, but you can thin it out a bit or it might sink. Don’t add to much thinner or you will see it crack up and form little bubbles. If it does, just wipe it off the water and try again. If you care to try it and see, just add a little white paint and see what happens. This is a good idea because you can get an idea what paint will work with out thinning it.

When I post, I mean no harm to anyone because everyone has a different way of doing things. I'm just telling you what works best for me. One more thing, I have never tried oil paint, but I will soon just to see what happens.

Hope this helps

Take care

Edited by moderator Sunday, May 9, 2010 4:23:42 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline david  
#6 Posted : Sunday, May 9, 2010 8:41:37 PM(UTC)
david

Thanks zeek, the paint I'm using right now is from serwin willaums and is called all surface enamel oil based. I've been testing with it to see how much thinner I need to thin it enough to spred right. I switched to this kind bc they have some great colors.
Offline _bogus_  
#7 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 6:53:32 AM(UTC)
_bogus_

So the prime is colored? I can only find white primers here. Also I wanna know whats the mixing ratio with the humbrol enamels. I tried to use fabric paint (they suggested that on another forum) but I couldn't make it float, and the solvent just spread it in small pieces of tint.

Also, whats the water ideal temp?
Offline ads-92  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 9, 2010 9:22:48 PM(UTC)
ads-92

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Just wanted to know how the priming colour affects the swirl colours.
Do you generally always prime in white or do you prime in the brightest colour your swirling?
Offline Praetorian27  
#9 Posted : Thursday, June 24, 2010 10:21:05 PM(UTC)
Praetorian27

_bogus_ wrote:
Also, whats the water ideal temp?

+1 Still trying to figure that out as well. I tried 70 degree and 73 degree water...neither worked out very well.
Offline T-Bone  
#10 Posted : Sunday, June 27, 2010 10:53:15 PM(UTC)
T-Bone

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 35 post(s)
ads-92 wrote:
Just wanted to know how the priming colour affects the swirl colours.
Do you generally always prime in white or do you prime in the brightest colour your swirling?

Thats a good question, the colors tend to go onto the guitar ver thinly so teh underlying color affects it quite a lot, if im doing a two tone swirl I woud go for a might lighter version of teh lightest colour (light green for example in teh swirl vid)
UserPostedImage